Claiming as a couple

Couples Claiming Universal Credit

If you are part of a couple you and your partner will need to make a joint claim for Universal Credit.

You will each need to create a Universal Credit online account, and then go on to make a claim for Universal Credit. The first person to create their account will be given a partner code, which will be displayed on screen – make sure you make a note of this.

This code will need to be input by your partner when they register for their Universal Credit online account. This ensures the accounts are joined together and you are correctly claiming as a couple.

IMPORTANT: Your joint claim will not start until you have both submitted your separate claims, so try and make your claims as soon as you need to.