How much will I get?

How much Universal Credit you could get will depend on your personal and financial circumstances. 

You will usually get one monthly payment that (together with any other income) is there to cover your living costs.

If you claim Universal Credit as a couple, you and your partner will get one payment between the two of you.

How much you get depends on your personal circumstances and income.

The Universal Credit award is made up of a basic ‘standard allowance’ and extra payments that might apply to you depending on your circumstances.

You might be able to get extra payments if you:

  • look after one or more children
  • work and pay for childcare
  • need help with housing costs
  • are disabled or have a health condition
  • are a carer for a disabled person or you have a disabled child

See the table below for more information.

If you are working

You can work and still get Universal Credit – your Universal Credit will reduce gradually as you earn more. Your Universal Credit will go up if your job ends or you earn less.

If you’re self-employed, your payment might also be affected by how much the DWP expect you to earn each month – this expected amount is called your ‘minimum income floor’. Find out how the minimum income floor works and if it applies to you.

If you are working and paying for childcare you may be able to get help with Child Care Costs.

ADD TABLE………below is the original info from How much page on Rise.

Universal Credit is a family benefit so it is based on your and your partner’s circumstances, including any dependent children.

It’s hard to work out your exact Universal Credit amount, but you can get a general idea.
Speak to a benefits adviser if you would like it calculated in more detail.

There are four steps to working out how much Universal Credit you will paid:

1 Work out the maximum Universal Credit you could get

2 Reduce this by certain sources of income you have coming in

3 Check to see if this should be reduced by the Benefit Cap

4 Reduce by any deductions for debt overpayments etc. 

For More information on these steps please see below

Which elements are you entitled to?

Reduce the maximum UC amount by certain sources of income

Your maximum Universal Credit may be reduced byyour income or any savings between £6000 and £16000.

Click on the tabs below to see how certain sources of income would affect your UC award.

Unearned Income

If you are an employed worker, the DWP will normally find out from HMRC how much you have earned in an Assessment Period. If you are self-employed, you will need to report your monthly income and expenditure yourself at the end of each Assessment Period.


For each pound net you have in earnings over any applicable work allowance, your UC award is reduced by 63p.


Earnings include payments such as wages, overtime, tips, commission, bonuses, holiday pay, sick pay and tax refunds.


The work allowance is the amount you can earn without your award being affected - it is only applicable to claimants with dependent children or those who have (or whose partner has) been found to have a limited capability for work.


If your earnings change from Assessment Period to Assessment Period then your UC award will also change to reflect that.


If you're paid 4 weekly, fortnightly or weekly (and sometimes monthly payees can be affected) - then at certain points of the year, your earnings in an certain Assessment Period may be higher than usual.

When this happens, your UC award will be less than normal and may even reduce to nil. If this happens, make sure you reclaim UC (log into your account and follow the instructions).

You will need to consider when this might happen to you and budget for this. 

Seek advice from a benefits adviser or a money adviser.


NOTE: Your UC award drops gradually as you earn more - it won't suddenly stop if your hours reach a certain level.


Unearned Income

Certain types of unearned income reduce your UC award £1 for £1. The DWP will deduct the monthly amount of this income from your award.


Other types of unearned income are totally disregarded and therefore do not affect how much UC you are entitled to.

NOTE: Statutory Sick, Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Pay are treated as earnings.


Taken into account

Totally Disregarded

  • New Style Contribution Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • New Style Contributory Employment and Support Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Carers Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Widowed Parents Allowance
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • State Retirement Pension*
  • Adult Maintenance
  • Works/Occupational Pensions
  • Bereavement Support Payment
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living allowance
  • Attendance Allowance*
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • War Disablement Pension
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Maintenance
  • Fostering Allowance
  • Income from Lodgers/Boarders
  • Guardians Allowance

*Where one of a couple are in receipt of these benefits, they may be better off claiming Pension Credit and Housing Benefit.


The DWP assumes that any savings or capital you (or your partner) have over £6000'generate you an income'. 


This means that your UC award will be reduced accordingly. 

For every £250you (or your partner) have above £6000, you're monthly UC award will be reduced by £4.35.

Check to see if your award will be reduced by the Benefit Cap

The Benefit Cap is a limit on the total amount of ‘welfare’ i.e. benefits a claimant/family can receive.

Whether you are affected by the Benefit Cap or not depends on the size of your family and the benefits you receive.

The limit is currently:

NOTE: Help towards Child Care and rent on ‘specified’ or ‘temporary accommodation’ does not count as ‘welfare’.

Outside Greater LondonInside Greater London
Couples/Families£384.62 a week
£1666.67 a month
£442.31 a week
£1916.67 a month
Single/Children £257.69 a week
£1116.67 a month
£296.35 a week
£1284.67 a month

The Cap is imposed by reducing the payment of UC to those affected.
So if your total ‘welfare is above this amount, the cap is imposed.

Some of the people excluded from the Benefit Cap are those who:

  • Have earnings of £542.88 or more in an Assessment Period.
  • Are getting Personal Independence Payment, Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Armed Forces Independence Payment, Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Disablement Pension.
  • Have the Limited Capability for Work Related Activities Element included in their UC award.
  • Are getting Carers Allowance or the Carer Element included in their UC award.
  • Are getting Guardians Allowance.
  • Are getting a War Widows and Widowers Benefit.

If affected, ask your Local Authority about a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Reduce award by any deductions

Once the award of UC has been assessed, the DWP can then make certain deductions.

Deductions for things like: sanctions, repaying benefit advances, rent arrears, council tax arrears, gas/electricity, water arrears, court fines, benefit overpayments and child maintenance arrears.

There is a limit to how much can be deducted and sometimes the DWP can reduce the level of deductions if they are causing hardship – talk to a benefits adviser if deductions from your UC are causing you problems.


Mark & Tracey
Their max UC will include a Standard Allowance, Two Child Elements and a Housing Costs Element. This will be reduced by earnings and they will be entitled to £797.81/month of UC.
Learn More
Jason's max UC will include a Standard Allowance, one Child Element and Housing Costs Element. Neither Child Benefit or child maintenance will reduce his UC award. He will be entitled to £1136.57/month UC.
Katya's max UC will include a Standard Allowance and a Housing Costs Element. Her PIP does not reduce her UC award. She will be entitled to £772.82/month UC.
Neither the DLA or Child Benefit will reduce Georgina's UC award. But her wages are taken into account. In a 4 week wage assessment period, she will be entitled to £1195.89/month UC. In a 5 week wage assessment period, she will be entitled to 1104.45/month UC??